1 large butternut squash, peeled, halved,and seeded, or 9 cups (48 ounces) precut squash
3 medium mutsu apples or other cooking apples, peeled, cored and quartered
1 large onion, cut into chunks
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 cups reduced-sodium, fat-free chicken or vegetable broth
1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Coat 2 large rimmed baking sheets or a large roasting pan with olive oil spray.
2. Cut the squash into 1 1/2" chunks. Place the squash, apples, onion, and garlic on the prepared baking sheets or pan. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Toss to mix well.
3. Roast the vegetables and apples, stirring occasionally, 40 to 45 minutes, or until very tender. Remove from the oven and let cool briefly.
4. In a food processor, in batches if necessary, puree the vegetables until smooth. Add broth as needed to thin the mixture.
5. Transfer the puree to a large saucepot and stir in the remaining broth. Warm over medium heat, stirring often, until the soup is piping hot. Garnish with parsley.