1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup dried green or brown lentils, rinsed
1 package (2.25 ounce) taco seasoning (or more if you like spicy)
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped (optional, use half for less heat)
2 teaspoons adobo sauce
8 taco shells
1 1/4 cups shredded lettuce
1 cup chopped tomato
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat (2 percent) cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onion, garlic and salt until onion begins to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Add lentils and taco seasoning. Cook until spices are fragrant and lentils are dry, about 1 minute.
3. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
3. Mix sour cream, chile and adobo sauce (if using) in a bowl.
4. Uncover lentils and cook until mixture thickens, 6 to 8 minutes. Spoon 1/4 cup lentil mixture into each taco shell.
5. Top with 2 heaping teaspoons sour cream mixture, lettuce, tomato and cheese.