Can you think of a better way to brighten up a rainy day? Carrots and Orange create a very light and delicate flavor combination, when combined with walnuts these muffins need no further adornment. The pitfall with all muffin batters is in over mixing the batter and ending up with a tough muffin. So make sure you only mix the batter until the ingredients are combined and moistened.
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/3 cup canola oil (substitution: 1/2 cup apple sauce)
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup brown sugar
1 medium carrot- grated
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp orange zest
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick vegetable spray.
2. Beat together brown sugar, oil (or applesauce substitute), vanilla extract, carrot, orange juice and eggs.
3. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and orange zest. Slowly blend into wet ingredients.
4. Add walnuts and mix until just combined.
5. Spoon approximately 3/4 cup of batter into prepared tin. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.