If you are pressed with time and desperately craving for a bowl heart warming soup, try this recipe. It is easy, quick and delicious. Oh and if you have some little fussy eaters at home, definitely try this soup! You can make it with chicken or vegetarian version.
Orzo Soup I (with chicken)
1 cup orzo
2 tbs butter (I use canola oil to make it healthier)
1 1/2 tbs tomato paste
5 cups of water (or chicken stock)
1/2 cup garbanzo beans (soaked overnight or canned)
1 cup shredded chicken (you can use leftover rotisseri chicken)
1 tbs parsley/ or dried mint
1. Heat the oil and add tomato paste stir for 2 min.
2. Add water, bring to a boil. Stir in orzo and garbonzo beans. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until orzo tender. Add chicken and cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Add the parsley or dried mint before serving.
Orzo Soup II (Vegeterian with fresh tomato and basil)
3 tomatoes (peeled and petite diced)
2 tbs butter (or canola oil)
1 cup orzo
5 cups boiling water
1/8 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and thyme
1. Heat the butter in a pan and add the tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes are soft.
2. Add the water and boil for 2-3 min. Add dried basil, oregano, and thyme and then stir in orzo. Cook for another 10 min.