It's peak artichoke season, if you love artichokes but hate cleaning them continue reading. The best thing about this recipe is that not only it tastes great, it is also very easy to make.
6 fresh artichoke bottoms, cleaned
If you don't want to spend time with cleaning fresh ones:
1 pack of frozen artichoke bottoms,
2 cans of artichoke bottoms
1/2 pound green peas
2 medium carrots, petite diced (I used 1 pound frozen mixed peas and carrots)
1 small potato petite diced
1 onion, chopped finely
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup water
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 bunch dill, chopped (you can also use dried dill if you don't have the fresh dill)*
1. Mix onions, peas, carrots, sugar, salt, and 1/4 bunch of dill in a bowl.
2. If you are using canned artichokes drain and rinse well. If using frozen thaw according to package directions then place the artichokes facing up in a broad pan.
3. Cover the artichokes with stuffing. Do not actually try to stuff them, just put the stuffing in the pot and cover the artichokes.
4. Mix olive oil, sugar and water and pour over the artichokes.
5. Cover and bring to a boil, then turn on low for another 25-30 minutes
6. Garnish with dill and serve when it is cold with lemon juice on top. I strongly suggest making this dish ahead since it tastes even better the next day!
* Dill is the must have ingredient in this recipe, it just doesn't taste complete without it, if you don't have fresh dill at home, either use dried ones or have another trip to grocery store, it is worth it.