Sunday, May 16, 2010

Muffins with No butter, No Oil, Zero Bad Fat? Yes! Pineapple Sweet Potato Muffins


What is the last thing that a person with a meniscus tear should be doing? Baking:-) and that is what I am exactly doing, despite the knee injury and mandatory rest, I just can't sit and do nothing. To me even reading my magazines or surfing on the web has to be earned! and you can only cook certain amount of meals for a family of three. I have been avoiding baking for a long time, not that I don't enjoy or like baked goods just because it is usually fattening. For this reason I have been resisting to own a bread machine at home, I know we will be consuming far more baked goods than we actually need.  To me wholesome baking is still a challenge, but it is definitely worth trying, especially when your five year old daughter has very strong preferences about food:-) 

The great thing about this recipe is that absolutely no butter, or oil included! Usually most muffin recipes are loaded up with butter and I personally think if you put that much butter anything will taste good:-). We all liked the muffins, they turned out more moist than regular coffee house ones but hey I don't mind since there is no fat and crazy amount of calories involved.

Ingredients:

½ cup egg beaters (or 2 eggs)
2/3 cup sugar
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 Tbs flax seed
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sweet potatoes, pureed
1 cup crushed pineapple (I used fresh but if you are using can use 8 ounces), drained
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/3 or 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. In a medium bowl combine sweet potatoes, pineapple, orange zest, eggs and
sugar. Stir until well combined. Stir in walnuts.
2. In a large bowl combine flour, powder, soda and salt.
3. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and fold until dry ingredients are just moistened. Do not over
mix.
4.  Spray muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter into each cup. Bake for 16 to 20 minutes.
 
This recipe is the winner of Louisiana cooking 2005 sweet rewards recipe contest for the original recipe see: http://www.louisianacookin.com/2005-sweet-rewards-recipe-contest

1 comment:

  1. Looks very nice, I can't wait to try this recipe out this holliday season! Tnx!

    ReplyDelete