2 cups cooked brown rice (3/4 cup uncooked)
1/2 pound asparagus (cut into 1-inch long pieces and steamed)
1 small or 1/2 medium yellow summer squash, cut lenghtwise
1/4 cup tablespoons shredded cheddar or gruyere cheese
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp nutmeg
* Serves 6
1. In a small saucepan, cook the rice using the package directions, omitting the salt and margarine.
2. When the rice is almost done, preheat the oven to 450°F. Lightly spray a medium skillet and a 9-inch quiche dish or pie pan with cooking spray.
3. Saute the squash, asparagus, and garlic in the skillet over medium-low heat for 3-4 minutes, or until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, stir together the cooked rice, eggs, salt, pepper paprika and nutmeg. Press the mixture over the bottom and up the side of the quiche dish. Bake for 5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack. Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F.
5. In a medium bowl, stir together the milk, and the asparagus, squash. Pour into the hot rice crust. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.